Monday, February 22, 2010

Fish Tacos

Occasionally, I get in the mood for a good fish taco. I completely and totally blame this on my friend Gretchen from California who introduced me to these tasty treats about five years ago. They are a great treat for a warm summer night (with Coronas, of course), grill night on St. John (with super-fresh fish, of course) or Fridays during Lent.

First I start with some fish filets. I generally use mahi mahi, but I don't see why you couldn't use whatever fish you like. Some people have suggested cod, haddock or tilapia, so I will investigate further. I just wouldn't get anything too "fishy."

I soak the fish in lime juice for a while so it doesn't dry out while I'm grilling it. If I have access to an outside grill, I will use that. If not, I use the George Foreman. Sprinkle some Cruz Bay Grill Rub on each side, and grill the fish until it is white and flaky.

Now it's time to assemble your tacos. Take either hard or soft tortilla shells (I usually use soft). Add tomatos, lettuce (I actually use cole slaw mix because Mexicans use cabbage instead of lettuce), cheese, salsa, etc. I also make "baja sauce" for my tacos, and I really think that is the key to them being super delicious.

To make baja sauce, you combine equal parts of mayonnaise and sour cream (maybe 2 Tablespoons each) and then taco seasoning to taste. It's pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter