Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Update (and my chili recipe)

I haven't been cooking lately, because it is hard when you can't wash dishes. The last thing I made was a big pot of chili (recipe below) the day of the flood. However, I am feeling some domestic urges, so I will be getting back to normal very soon. I am thinking I might make some penne with homemade alfredo sauce tomorrow, and I know I am making chicken enchiladas Friday. Saturday I only work three hours. If I can get my roommate to calm down on his Facebook games (yes, my computer is still broken), then I will post some recipes and play catch up. You are probably all starving to death waiting for me...

My chili is nothing exciting. I have been making it the exact same way for years and everyone loves it, but it doesn't take much effort. I usually make it in the crock pot, which requires even less effort. It was nice to just make a big batch of it and eat it for several days when I was stranded last week. But, I am telling you all my secret ingredient so you should be very excited.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 yellow onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 package taco seasoning
1 can regular diced tomatoes
1 can Mexican-style diced tomatoes (I usually use Rotel)
1 can chili beans (whatever hotness you prefer)
1 can kidney beans or black beans
1 large can tomato juice
Chili powder
Tabasco sauce

Brown your beef in a skillet with onion and garlic. Once browned, add taco seasoning (That's the secret ingredient. Not chili seasoning. Taco seasoning. It gives it a better taste. You'll see.). Add the meat mixture to either a large stock pot if you are cooking it on the stove or your crock pot. Then add all the canned ingredients. (Depending on your pot size, you may not use all the tomato juice and that is ok.) Add chili powder and tobasco depending on how much heat you like, I usually just put a little shake of each, and then stir it all up and let it cook -- the longer the better.

Make some cornbread to go with it. Comfort food at it's finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter