Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

The name of the game lately has been "Let's cook all the stuff from the farmers' market before it goes bad." I already gave you one of the recipes from that excitement, squash casserole, so it's about time that I give you my fried green tomatoes recipe.

Ever since I moved to the South, I've developed a love for fried green tomatoes. I'm not a huge tomato fan, so it's quite strange, really. But after a little tweaking, I make fried green tomatoes that I'm told are some of the best.

My inspiration came from Martha White's recipe, but I changed it around a little and I think mine works a little better. I still always use their sauce, but I realized when looking at that recipe that I have been forgetting the dijon mustard and it's still pretty good.

So, you make the sauce.
1 c. sour cream, 2 T mayo, 1 T horseradish and 1 T dijon mustard. '
Mix it up and let it sit for a while. It's better if it sits.

Ingredients for the tomatoes:
3-4 green tomatoes
1 egg, beaten (you may need an extra one, depending on how many tomato slices you have)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
Oil for frying
Salt and pepper

Next cover the bottom of your skillet with canola or vegetable oil and let it heat up while you get the tomatoes ready. I put it about medium/medium low, so the grease doesn't splatter.

Slice your tomatoes and sprinkle salt and pepper on them. I don't know why that makes them taste better, but it does.

Dredge the tomato slices in flour. Dip them in egg until they are covered on both sides, and then dip in cornmeal.

Drop in the hot oil and cook on each side until golden brown. Drain on plate covered in paper towel.

Serve warm with horseradish sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter