Friday, October 29, 2010

Pork chops with cider sauce

In the fall, one drink reigns supreme in my home: apple cider. Growing up in Michigan, the highlight of October is going to the orchard and picking apples and having a cup of fresh (as in, you can see them pressing it through glass windows) cider and a cake donut. Don't ask what the donuts have to do with cider. I've never figured it out, but it is the best treat in the world.

Last night, I need to make dinner and I had some pork chops in the fridge. I decided to make pork chops with apple cider sauce, which is a recipe I have seen many times but hadn't tried. I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans because that is what I had at home, but I think it would be good with cous-cous or sweet potatoes, as well.

This is the recipe I used. Easy and delicious.

Ingredients
4 center-cut,bone-in ork chops,about 3/4" thick
salt and pepper
2 TB olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 TB finely chopped fresh sage
1-1/2 c apple cider

How to make it
1. Season pork chops with salt and pepper.In nonstick akillet over med-high heat,warm olive oil. 2. Add onions and cook,stirring,until softened and golden,about 5 mins. Push onions to edge of skillet,add chops. Cook,turning once,until browned,about 6 mins.
3. Sprinkle sage over chops and pour cider into pan. Bring to boil,cover,reduce heat to med-low and simmer till chops are cooked through,8-10 mins.
4. Remove chops from pan,raise heat to high and boil sauce until reduced an thickened,2 to 3 mins. Pour sauce and onions over chops,serve.
Note: You can also use chicken for this dish.

For dessert, I made some pumpkin cranberry scones from a mix by Sticky Fingers bakery. They were good, but I need to work on finding some recipes of my own. They were almost too easy (just add water and mix) to make baking them a cathartic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter