Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Mojito tea"

So, we went to the farmers' market Saturday and bought some refreshing mint tea.

I have a mint plant on my patio that is out of control. I was making mojitos until I ran out of light rum. And I buy it by the liter in the islands.

(As a side note, Emeril Lagasse's traditional mojito recipe on the Food Network Web site is the best mojito recipe I have ever used. No more rummy limeade with mint leaves floating on top!)

But back to my very accidental mojito tea.

So, I wanted to make mint tea. I was going to just throw some tea bags and mint leaves in my sun tea jar and let the hot Tennessee sun work it's magic.

And, then I read on the Internets that sun tea can cause salmonella. So, I headed in the kitchen and mojito tea was born.

You need:
At least two dozen mint leaves
8 tea bags (I used green tea)
One lime
Some honey
Ice

Lightly your mint leaves in your hands to release the flavor. Add to some water (a few cups or so). Bring to a boil and boil for five minutes.

Add tea bags to boiling water. Turn off heat. Steep tea bags for at least three minutes, depending on how strong you like your tea.

While you're waiting, fill your sun tea jug with ice and then cover the ice with lime slices. Pour a little bit of honey over the ice and lime slices.

After the tea has steeped, add the hot water (take the bags out, but not the mint leaves) into the jar with the ice. Stir until the honey dissolves. Let the ice melt and add more cold water or ice if necessary to get the right strength to your tea. (I just pour it over ice, which melts and makes it less strong).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter