Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hard candy

Candy is one of those things that intimidates me. Like gravy, waffles and homemade biscuits, I just see making candy as this mountain that I can't climb armed with my culinary skills.

But tonight we got this brilliant idea to make hard candy, and it wasn't that bad. The ingredients we used were the ones from this cooks.com recipe, but we the instructions were a little different. I added my commentary in parentheses.


HARD CANDY

2/3 c. white corn syrup
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. flavoring (we used cinnamon oil)
Several drops food coloring (we used red, obviously)

Combine sugar, syrup, and water; cook until it comes to a hard ball stage or until it reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. Add flavoring and food coloring. Pour into iron skillet that has been in freezer (we put it in a buttered cake pan). Cool at room temperature. Take knife handle and crack into small pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter