Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday gifts

Last year, I bought a whole bunch of Christmas bread pans at Michael's on sale and baked bread for all my coworkers for an inexpensive homemade Christmas gift. Everyone seemed to like it, but it was a lot of work.

This year, I bought Christmas mugs on sale and made everyone a little packet of mulling spices for cider or wine. People seem to have reacted well. I tried the spices in some leftover cider here at the office and they were pretty tasty. They smelled amazing. I had to buy a few spices (translation: I bought orange peel because no way was I peeling that many oranges), but it maybe cost $20 to give everyone in my office a little gift.

I wanted to share a link to the recipe. The website where I got it is chock-full of ideas for crafts and such. Which is good, because I have no idea how I will top it for next year.

Check out the recipe and then poke around the site for some great ideas. It makes a pretty big batch, but there is also a spreadsheet where you can type in what size gift you want to do and how many people and it tells you the proportions to make a batch that is just the right size. If you have kids, it would be cool to save baby food jars and fancy them up as packaging. I used ziploc bags and just put them down inside the mug.

Sometime before New Year's I am going to post my favorite Christmas recipe: the cheese spread my Aunt Rita made every year that we all missed very much until I started making it a couple of years ago.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter