Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cheater bruschetta

In the summer, I get fresh basil and tomatoes from my farmer's co-op, and I make wonderful bruschetta.

In the winter, I still love bruschetta, but I end up making it the "cheater" way, because canned diced tomatoes have a better flavor to me than hot house tomatoes. So, if you are looking for a quick, delicious snack and aren't opposed to taking short cuts, here is how I make bruschetta.

First of all, you make crostinis. The crostinis can keep in a ziploc bag for up to a year, so don't worry if you make too many. After all, the tomato mixture is so easy, it's nothing to make a little snack to have with your vino.

So, get a loaf of bread from the store. I use the french baguettes (usually white, but I think the multigrain is my favorite when I can get it). Slice the bread into 1/2-inch slices and put them on a cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil using a pastry brush. Sometimes I sprinkle on some parmesan cheese (you know, the kind in the green can), depending on my mood.

Bake on 425 for about 7 minutes, until they are golden brown.

For the tomato mixture:
1 can of italian style diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
A healthy sprinkle of dried basil, oregano and parsley
Sea salt to taste

Mix it all together and let it sit. A few hours is minimum, overnight is best.

Top your crostinis with the tomatoes and watch your guests tell you how awesome it is.

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter