Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sloppy joes

I am a big advocate of shortcuts, but there is something I can just not bring myself to buy in a can: sloppy joe sauce.

Sloppy joes have always been one of my favorite foods. And I still make them the way my mom taught me, which means there is no recipe and you'll just have to try it and see if you like it.

Take some ground beef (by "some," I mean "around one pound") and brown it in a pan with some diced onions. You can either add diced garlic or garlic powder to your meat mixture.

Once it's done cooking, drain any grease off the meat.

Add a few tablespoons of ketchup (I just squeeze it out of the bottle until there is a nice-sized blob in the middle of the meat. I'd guess it's about 3-4 Tablespoons.)
Add 2 Tablespoons of cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of worcestershire sauce

Taste it and see if it's seasoned to your liking. If not, play around with it a little bit.

All I can say is that my friend who had dinner with me has sworn off Manwich, so it must not be too terrible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow RichardsLJ on Twitter